27 June, 2008

Complexion

Complexion refers to the natural color, texture, and appearance of the skin, especially that of the face. The word is derived from the Late Latin complexi, which initially referred in general terms to a combination of things, and later in physiological terms, to the balance of humors.

Four Temperaments is a theory of psychology that stems from the ancient medical concept of four humors, or "humours" in UK English.



For the first time in my lifetime, on an official government application, race is absent, and in its place, complexion is there--hue or appearance of the skin and especially of the face.

blond, fair, pale, pallid, ashen, waxen, white, sallow, sickly, dark, olive, bronze, sandy, rosy, red, ruddy, florid... in some lists, the traditional race classifications are still there: Negroid, Caucasian, Nordic, Aryan, Melanesian, Malaysian, mulatto, Oriental, Semitic, Amerindian... it seems out of place to say that someone has a blond complexion or an Amerindian. Would those be hair color or nationality?

Now.

Finally.

Are we over the racial quotas that began in the late 1960s, discriminating on race who must be hired?

Or.

Will we now discriminate on complexion? Should "ruddy" be a classification?

Or.

Will temperaments be classified and quotas enumerated on that psychological quality? (choleric, melancholic, sanguine or phlegmatic) Which is more desirable? Which would be the "preferred minority"?

Or.

Will complexion be a hidden or code word for race? I hope not, but wonder why even put complexion on an application?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OT.

Chief, as I just mentioned at SAB, I was under the impression that you were retired from service. I didn't realize you were deployed as recently as 2004. Just in case nobody stateside has thanked you, I offer my humble thanks for your service. I want to separate stateside thanks from Iraqi thanks as I know there are millions of them thanking you and others for your dedication. God bless you all, sir.

13.7.08  
Blogger Chief RZ said...

spartacus--
I retired in December of 2005 after about 36+ years. I was deployed overseas 5 times, 4 of those on callups.

Enjoyed every minute. Would do it again anytime.
Yes, Mosul April-July. 210 rounds of ammo, weapons everywhere you went, and I was AF!

You are welcome.

13.7.08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were there (Mosul) at about the same time Michael Yon was there, I read his book.

Thank you again for your service and my thanks to those who are still serving, now I'll quit hijacking the thread and let it go back on topic!

13.7.08  

Post a Comment

<< Home