23 March, 2008

Internet access

Many times a year I read articles how the poor are unable to connect to the internet and how this is holding them back. Maybe.
Facts: Reference American Journal of Health Education of all things. I am a lifetime member of AAHPER. I review professional literature because my organizations follow scientific research protocols. On page 109 of the March/April copy, Access Speed Disparities, 2005 are printed. There appears to be a significant difference between those who live in a Household making $30,000 or less vs $30,000-49,999 and higher. The breakdown between Dial-up and Broadband appears to be evenly split in each group that has access except the Age 65+ group! The average access appears to be about 75% overall.
What was not surveyed was: what was done on the computer(s).

Personally, I finished about twenty FEMA courses on the free EMI site.
I also just recently passed my FAA Private Pilot Knowledge test which took about three months of home study for a cost of $16.
The web site is free to take practise tests here.

Now I wonder what people in the $30,000 HH are doing with their Broadband access?

3 Comments:

Blogger Douglas Love said...

Believe it or not, I use mine to keep my Boy Scout leader certifications current, pay bills, renew various licenses and documents and keep in touch with my friends.

26.3.08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many times a year I read articles how the poor are unable to connect to the internet and how this is holding them back.

Heh, didn't Kofi while running the U.N. dream up a program to deliver free computers in Africa so the poor could gain access to the net a few years ago? Seems to me most of Africas populace is still no better off than prior to Kofis waste of money, maybe worse off.

Even the Nigerian Prince is having a run of hard luck judging from his annoying emails.

3.6.08  
Blogger Chief RZ said...

spartacus,
Thanks for the visit. Yes, the UN has an answer for just about everything. Their only problem is actually implementing them, stealing the money from others to do it, and then deliver it to those who are actually in need, not the "Big Daddys" of Africa.

4.6.08  

Post a Comment

<< Home