30 May, 2006

Band of Brothers

The book and the mini-series.

This Memorial weekend I was drawn to the History Channel's airing of the DVD mini-series even though I have the full series myself. The honesty, and yes, The Truth that is told by ordinary soldiers in Steven Ambrose's book was a departure from the autobiographical types of World War II books that had been written up to this point. His book recalled verbally and in writing what the Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, and Marines did to save democracy in 1944. Several of the combat veterans are still alive and were filmed with their verbal histories. One I was glad to see was then, Lt. Winters.

If anyone has not seen this, I recommend it and would like a few comments from veterans and others. I attended my first memorial post-retirement at the American Legion I have joined on Memorial Day. Most in attendance were from WW II, Korea and the Vietnam Era.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

I haven't seen it... I'll look into renting or purchasing it.

Thank you!

31.5.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I viewed this. It was amazing and wonderful, yet, so sad also. Thank you for sharing this. It is so important that we all remember, but NEVER forget.

Your site is great Chief RZ!

Doll

31.5.06  
Blogger Chief RZ said...

Doll, Thanks for the nice compliment. Never forget.
brooke-- It is expensive, and may be shown on the history channel again. More people need to see this and 'catch up' on history not taught in the public schools.

31.5.06  
Blogger Alnot said...

I saw it on the history channel and really enjoyed it. I will watch it again. I am a Vietnam Era vet but have not joined any veterans organizations. I am still bitter by the political betrayal of our friends and allies. We gave the communists hell which proved later to be exactly what they deserved.

1.6.06  
Blogger stitching pooh said...

Loved the movie . I saw it a few years back and watched every one with my dad and mom What a interesting portrat of those young men who fought for us. Bravo:)

1.6.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home